Lochaber Housing Association

Carrying out improvements to your home

Can I carry out improvements to my home?

If you want to carry out improvements to your home, you must get written permission from the Association, and the work must be carried out to the guidelines and standard required by the Association.

What do I have to do before I start work?

You need our permission before you start any work.

You should write to:

  • Technical Officer
  • Lochaber Housing Association
  • 30 Fassifern Road
  • Fort William
  • PH33 6XQ

We will normally let you know within 2 weeks if you can go ahead with the work.

You must:

  • Get building and planning permission where necessary
  • Follow the written guidelines given by the Technical Officer
  • Make good any damage to your own or your neighbour's home, and you will be responsible for the maintenance, repair and renewal of the improvement
  • Inform the Technical Officer when the work is completed so that we can inspect it
  • Leave the fittings in good order when you move or replace the original fixture or fitting.

If the work does not meet the required standard, or you cause damage to your property, you will be recharged for work we have to carry out.

What kind of improvements do I have to seek permission for?

A few examples are:

  • Decorating the outside of your home
  • Fitting a shower
  • Fitting windows
  • Putting in extra electric sockets
  • Installing more room heaters
  • Building a shed or greenhouse
  • Fitting a new bathroom suite
  • Fitting a new kitchen or replacing existing kitchen units
  • Building a fireplace
  • Putting up a satellite dish

This is not an exhaustive list and you must contact the Technical Officer if you are considering carrying out an improvement to your home.

What happens if you refuse permission?

Permission to improve your home will not be refused without good reason, and only in cases where, for example it could affect the safety of your house, or involve us in extra expense. If we refuse permission, we will write to you and explain why permission has been refused, and you can write to us to appeal that decision.

If we are taking legal action against your tenancy, then permission for improvements may not be given. Please ask your Housing Officer for further advice.

Will I receive compensation for improvements when I leave?

Under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001, you might have a right to claim compensation for improvements made to your home on or after 30 September 2002 if:

  • The Association has approved the improvement; and
  • Your tenancy has ended.

You can only get compensation for certain kinds of improvements, for example double glazing, loft insulation, rewiring or heating, and the law tells the Association how to work out the amount of compensation to be paid.

If you claim compensation, we will ask for proof of the cost of the work, and any relevant completion certificates.

If you were a secure tenant and carried out improvements to your home before 30 September 2002, you may be entitled to compensation under the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987, if the improvements were approved, and they would materially add to the value of your property. This is entirely at the discretion of the Association.

Leaflets from the Scottish Executive explaining how the scheme works are available from the Association. Please contact the Technical Officer for further details.



Website by Pole Position