Lochaber Housing Association

Complaints & Comments

Lochaber Housing Association aims to provide a first class service to all our tenants, sharing owners and service users. Sometimes we make mistakes, but if this happens weíll do our best to put things right.

This leaflet explains how to make a complaint and what the Association will do to ensure that matters are resolved as effectively as possible.

Your comments are important to us because they help us to put things right and improve our services. We also hope that there are times when you would like to tell us that we are doing something well.

We take all forms of feedback seriously and will use the information to monitor our performance and adapt our services to meet your needs.

If you make a complaint and we are at fault we will:

  • Apologise;
  • Tell you why things went wrong;
  • Let you know what we will do to try to make sure the same thing doesnít happen again (and check to make sure that it does not); and
  • Put things right (as far as possible we will try to put you back in the position you were before the problem happened).

If we were not at fault we will explain why.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint if they feel that Lochaber Housing Association is responsible. You do not need to be a tenant or sharing owner. You might be an applicant or a member of the public.

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint:

  • By visiting the Associationís offices
  • By telephone on 01397 702530
  • In writing
  • By email to info@lochaberhousing.co.uk

You should tell us what the problem is, and what you would like done to put things right.

How are complaints investigated?

The Associationís complaint procedure has three stages, as follows:

Stage One

When you first experience a problem it is best to raise it immediately with the relevant member of staff or department. Most problems are solved quickly this way. If your complaint cannot be dealt with immediately we will write to you within three working days to acknowledge that your complaint is being dealt with. You will normally then receive a response to your complaint within ten working days. Sometimes we may need longer but we will explain the reasons for any delay and let you know when you can expect a full reply.

Stage Two

If you are not satisfied with the response you should contact the manager of the relevant department within one month of receiving the reply to your complaint at stage one. You should give details of your complaint and what you feel we have not done to try to put things right. You will normally receive a response within ten working days, or we will write to tell you when you can expect a response if we need more time to investigate.

Stage Three

If you are still not happy after the stage two investigation, you can complain to the Associationís Complaints Panel. To do this you should contact the Director of the Association within one month of receiving our stage two response. The Panel comprises members of the Associationís Board of Management , as well as trained tenant/sharing owner representatives. You will be given the choice of whether you would like there to be tenant/sharing owner representatives on the Panel that hears your complaint.

The Panel will carry out a full review of your complaint within six weeks of receiving your request for a review of the decision at stage two. You will be invited to attend, and you can bring a friend or representative to the hearing.

You will normally be notified in writing of the Panelís decision within ten working days of the hearing being held. If we need to take longer we will explain the reasons for any delay and let you know when you can expect a full reply.

Is there anyone else I can take my complaint to?

If you are not satisfied with the way we have handled your complaint, you can contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, which investigates individual complaints against Housing Associations and Co-Operatives. This is an independent, free and impartial service and a leaflet about it is available from our office.

You can make a complaint at any time, however, it will usually only investigate if you have already been through our complaints procedure.

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman can be contacted at:

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
4 Melville Street

Tel: 0870 011 5378
Fax: 0870 011 5379

Email: enquiries@scottishombudsman.org.uk
Web: www.scottishombudsman.org.uk

Useful Contacts:

Highland Alliance for Racial Equality (HARE)
Glenurquhart Road
Tel: 01463 702094
Fax: 01463 702830

Lochaber Citizens Advice Bureau
Dudley Road
Fort William
PH33 6JB
Tel: 01397 705311

Contact details of local solicitors can be found in local directories

Shelterline: 0808 800 4444 (Free phone)



Website by Pole Position