About Your Tenancy

Ending your tenancy…
If you wish to end your tenancy you must give us a minimum of 28 days’ notice in writing. Alternatively, you can complete and return a tenancy termination form to our office. You can get a form by contacting a member of our team.
Before you leave, you must settle any outstanding rent or any other debt and allow an inspection of the property to be carried out by one of our colleagues.
All tenants’ belongings, including floor coverings and any rubbish must be removed from the house and loft before the tenancy end date. Failure to do so will result in us carrying out work and the cost of this being recharged to you.

Joint tenancies…
You have the right to ask for your tenancy to be put in joint names. To do this, you must write telling us who you want to be a joint tenant with, and when you would like the joint tenancy to begin. The joining tenant must also write to confirm they wish to become a joint tenant.
We will withhold our consent if:

  • We have served notice on you warning that we may seek eviction because of your conduct.
  • We have obtained an order for your eviction.

Joint tenants have an equal and shared responsibility for paying the rent and meeting all other conditions of the tenancy.

If you want to take in a lodger you must get our written permission. We will need details of who is currently living in your home, who you propose to allow to live there, how much rent you will charge and a copy of the agreement you will use between you and your lodger.
We will consider your request within 28 days and we will reply, telling you if your request has been approved or not.
We will refuse permission if:

  • We have served notice of our intention to raise proceeding against you.
  • We have obtained a court order for your eviction.
  • The change in tenancy would result in the house becoming overcrowded.

If permission is refused, we will tell you the reason for our decision in writing. You can appeal the decision through our complaints procedure if you feel you have been treated unfairly.
Lodgers do not have Scottish Secure Tenancies and we would not be obliged to re-house them under any circumstances.

Assignation is the right to pass on your tenancy to another person. You can only do this if you have our permission. To obtain this, you must write to us and tell us who you want to assign the tenancy to and when you want the assignation to take place.
This may be granted if:

  • You leave the house after the assignation.
  • The person you want to assign the tenancy to has lived in the house for 6 months.

If you die, your Scottish Secure Tenancy can be taken over by another member of the household. This is called succession.
Your Scottish Secure Tenancy can be succeeded to by:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner
  • an opposite-sex or same-sex partner, provided they have lived with you for at least twelve months
  • another joint tenant.

If you don’t have a partner or joint tenant, or if they choose not to succeed, another member of your family can succeed to your Scottish Secure Tenancy.
They must be living with you at the time of your death and also have lived with you for the previous 12 months (with Lochaber Housing Association’s permission).
If no-one is qualified to or wants to succeed, the Scottish Secure Tenancy will end. If   someone living in your home who is qualified to succeed chooses not to take on the Scottish Secure Tenancy, they must give Lochaber Housing Association four weeks’ notice in writing and leave the property within three months.
If your home has been adapted because of any disability or additional needs, the successor may be transferred to alternative accommodation if they do not require the adaptations.

To make sure you have the right to pass on your tenancy (through succession) you must keep your household details up to date.