Applying for Housing

Who can apply for housing with Lochaber Housing Association?

Anyone, provided that they are aged 16 or over, and either live in Lochaber, or have a reason to move to Lochaber.

If you have rent arrears from a former tenancy, or have had legal action taken against you for breaking the terms of a tenancy agreement, this may mean that we will not be able to offer you a property. The rules about this are quite complex, so if you think this may apply to you, please contact our office or an advice agency for further advice.

What type of properties does the Association have for rent and where are they?

The Association has many different types of properties for rent throughout Lochaber. They include flats, semi-detached and detached houses, and some of our properties are wheelchair accessible.

Please contact our office for further details of our housing stock.

How do I apply to the Association for a rented property?

The Association is one of six main providers of rented accommodation in the Highlands who have joined forces to make it easier for applicants on housing waiting lists to access housing. The Highland Council together with the five housing associations operating in the Highlands – Albyn, Cairn, Lochaber, Lochalsh & Skye and Pentland – have produced a single housing register.

This means that people who want to be housed by the partners in the Highland Housing Register in the Highlands will only have to fill in a single form. Previously applicants had to complete separate Housing Application Forms for each landlord.

For more information or to fill out the Highland Housing Register either contact the Association or follow this link »

How does the allocations process work?

If you previously had an application with the Highland Council, you will notice that your application with the HHR does not reflect waiting time. This is because the HHR Allocations Policy is purely housing needs based. This means that the applicant with the highest assessed housing need when a property is available for let, will be offered the property. While this may seem unfair, it is equally unfair to raise applicant’s hopes by having them believe that time spent on a housing list will award sufficient points to allow an allocation, when the reality in most areas of the Highlands is that applicants with higher housing need will always show above those with waiting time points and virtually no housing need.

When one of our properties becomes vacant, we check the Highland Housing Register to ascertain who on the list has the most points for that type of property in that area. We then offer the property to the applicant with the most points – i.e. in the most housing need.

We would like to offer a home to everyone who wants one, but this is not possible. There are far more people who want somewhere to live than there are places available.

What if I am homeless?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, you should contact The Highland Council straight away. They can give you advice and may be able to prevent you from becoming homeless.

You can also get free, impartial and confidential advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau, or from Shelterline,  click to view the partner agencies that we work with